How to File a Complaint or Report Concerns
File a complaint against a registered optician
- The College investigates concerns about the practice or conduct of its registrants (registered opticians, registered intern opticians and registered student opticians) to ensure they are meeting the standards of the profession.
- To initiate a complaint against a registered of the College, please complete the form below.
- Before proceeding, we encourage you to visit our Public Register to confirm that the person you have concerns with is registered with the College.
- Please note that complaints can only be made against individual opticians and not against opticial stores or businesses. In addition, the College has no authority to order an optician and/or a businesss to refund or reimburse patients for services or products. This is matter for Small Claims Court.
- Unauthorized practitioners are people who who dispense prescription eyewear to the public without holding the appropriate license. The College of Opticians may pursue legal action against illegal practitioners. For more information, please click HERE.
Unauthorized Practice Reporting Form
- If you are a registered optician, or you employ or operate a business where registered opticians work, you have an obligation under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 to report certain information to the College. For more information, please click HERE.
- To complete a mandatory report, please click HERE.
Concerns with an optical store/non-optician
- The College cannot pursue complaints and investigations against non-opticians, including optometrists, medical doctors (ophthalmologist) or optical businesses/stores.
- If you have concerns about an eye exam, prescription, eye health, etc., your concerns may be regarding an optometrist or ophthalmologist (medical doctor)
- To verify whether someone is registered as an optometrist, visit Find an Optometrist.
- To verify whether someone is registered as an ophthalmologist, visit Doctor Search.
- For concerns regarding businesses and/or optical stores, please contact Better Business Bureau.
If you require a paper copy of the complaint or reporting forms, please contact the College at:
Phone: (416) 368-3616 or (800) 990-9793 ext. 218
Fax: (416) 368-2713
Toll-Free (Ont): (800) 990-9698
Mail: College of Opticians of Ontario
90 Adelaide Street West, Suite 300
Toronto, ON M2H 3V9
ATTN: Coordinator, Professional Conduct